Response to COVID-19
March 12, 2020
At Allegheny Wesleyan College, our mission is to prepare young people to serve God, the church and society. In doing so, it is our responsibility to seek God’s direction for daily operational decisions. We truly want what is best for our campus community.
In light of the COVID-19 cases which are increasing in the United States, we have had to take consideration as to what it means to the college campus. There are several confirmed cases in the three surrounding counties of our institution. We want to prayerfully do what is necessary to keep our campus as safe and healthy as possible. Thus the Administrative Council of Allegheny Wesleyan College has made the following actions to do our part in limiting the risk relating to COVID-19.
- Choir Tour—Canceled.
- Spring Break begins Friday, March 13, and extends through March 23.
- Classes scheduled March 24-27 will be held remotely. Faculty will be getting in touch with students through Populi.
- Face-to-face classes will resume on Monday, March 30.
- The Dining Hall will be closed March 13 through lunch of Friday, March 27.
- Student residences will remain open only for students who are unable to leave.
- Any student remaining on campus with financial hardships regarding food should contact their Dean.
- Any student who must remain and desires to work on campus, please contact the Work Director.
- Any further updates will be posted on our website and forwarded to the students through Populi.
If you develop COVID-19 symptoms (listed below) or have been exposed to a known case of COVID-19, follow the steps below immediately:
- Notify Student Affairs personnel immediately:
- If you are away from campus, you will not be permitted to return to campus until approved by Student Affairs to do so. Do not head back to campus until you are cleared by Student Affairs.
- Students on campus should follow Student Affairs instructions regarding isolation and quarantine.
- Follow Student Affairs staff’s instructions to be cleared to return to campus and/or resume normal activities.
Any absences you accrue because of this process will be excused, and faculty will work with you to continue to make progress in your classes.
COVID-19 Symptoms seen below may show up 2-14 days after exposure:
- Shortness of breath
Please see the CDC website for more in-depth information regarding prevention, symptoms, and recommendations regarding COVID-19.
Please join with us in prayer not only for what it means for our campus, but for all who are affected around the world. We serve a God who knows and understands. As we seek Him for wisdom, He has promised to guide us.